Ok here is what I did to get it running. I have Vista.. I was getting the same problem as most in that using the frontend aka Renegade X server client I would get the screen with the two soldiers, it would just hang there very slow FPS then nothing.. I could use the shortcut for UT3 and play UT3 online well with no problem.
1. I updated windows .net framwork etc..
2. I removed all the UT3 and Ren-x files from computer, then rebooted.
3. Reloaded UT3 from DVD then the 2.1 Ut3 patch, then the Titan pack, rebooted.
4. Then loaded in Renegade X- 0.35- beta, rebooted.
5. A shortcut for the Frontend or Renegade X server client was automatically put on my Desktop and the path is "C:\Users\your name\Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\Renegade\Renegade-X.exe"
6. I tried all the above but no luck. So I installed the little client server patch for the sever client found on this forum, and I also for the hell of it copied the binary files from C:\Program Files\Unreal Tournament 3\Binaries into
the C:\Users\Yourname\Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament3\Binaries files.
7. I have played on several of the servers listed on the Renegade X server client and have always connected and never lost connection. Oh and it does take about 30-45 sec to connect. GOOD LUCK ALL.. Instinct